Friday, July 9, 2010

What's up with me?

People are seeing many sides of me on this blog site. It's astonishing, even to me, how many interests and passions are coming forth as I create this thing.

The MFT (marriage and family therapist) aspect emerged back in 1996, and after years of internship stints, I was licensed in 2005. I hung out my independent shingle in 2007, and have been building my practice, one client at a time, since.

My clients' care is very special and important to me. Restless soul that I am, however, it was never my intent to confine myself to private practice. Many of my most inspiring professors have had their own offices, bringing their rich anecdotes into the classroom and bring the theory alive. I wanted to follow in their footsteps, honoring their contributions to my own development. Thus, I embarked on my teaching career as an adjunct psychology professor at National University in 2008. As I stand behind the podium, I see myself in each of the students' faces, their expectations and plans echoing mine a decade and a half ago.

Writing has always been a yearning for me, with my article ideas demanding to be in relationship with me. The words and ideas take on lives and energy of their own. They mirror what has happened, as well as providing suggestions as to what might be next. Ideas are the genesis for yet more.

In addition to creating my own work, I've always enjoyed assisting classmates and friends with piecing together theirs. It's not just tutoring and editing, but also doing real healing work by releasing the blocks to their self-expression. That's why, on top of everything else I'm trying to do, I have become associated with the betterfly.com site. As each of us endeavors to tell his or her own story, it puts into place a piece of the human puzzle, and validates someone's soul.

On some level, the combination of all these roles makes sense.



It's very late, and I need some sleep. I just wanted to share some thoughts...
Post a Comment