Sunday, October 23, 2011

First follow-up, and my new exercise equipment!


First, the news. I'm down one pound from last week. YES, I'm totally okay with this. Every reputable weight-loss program, including Weight Watchers, promotes slow but steady weight loss. Dramatic drops are not only unhealthy, but they are usually not maintained over time, especially for "women my age." So, again, one pound DOWN, which means I'm going in the right direction.

When my son and daughter-in-law made their recent move, they had to leave behind this John Deere lawnmower and an edger. I eagerly took possession of both, and have assumed the role of gardener. Someone else had been performing that function, but it's time to save some money, use the muscles the good Lord gave me, and expend even more calories. My mother, who will be protective of me till the very end, is not happy about this, saying that "there's more to this than you think."

What? Am I not capable of doing myself what we've been paying good money to have done for us? Oh, Mom, "of little faith...". And anyway, I've always found gardening--working up a sweat and becoming marvelously dirty--to be the best therapy for me on my day off. Also, I love the smell of freshly-cut grass--aromatherapy for free. I CAN do the reseeding, fertilizing, cutting and edging, along with the weeding and pruning of the roses bushes I've always done. Ever since I re-landscaped the backyard in 2004, inspired by Bob Villa's "Gardening by the Yard" and also HGTV, my yard is MY DOMAIN. Time to reclaim it! I can be extreme in my efforts; I'd LOVE to wear a teeshirt that proclaims, in block stencil-letters, something like "I don't use gardening gloves!"

So, next Wednesday, I'll kindly thank the gardener for his services, send him on his way, and take over from there.

























2

Post a Comment