Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Nostalgia Monster has Struck Again!


Quick, someone stop me!!

It started when I heard Crosby, Stills & Nash's "Our House" on the radio the other day.

I've gotten this urge to add another writing project to my to-do list...about the houses we grew up in, and our memories of them.
I used to sit and pore over the cookbook above as a kid, while sitting on the high kitchen stool, watching Mom do her Whirling Dervish routine. Whenever I see the cookbooks in the drawer (I've posted a few of their images on FB), I can smell the flour, vanilla extract, sugar, eggs, etc., as Mom became a blur....whizzing, responding to the demands of oven, pressure cooker, timer, all with seemingly effortless expertise.

In 1972, I graduated from Burbank High School, Given my age, personal dreams, and the tone of the times, I couldn't run away from this house and Burbank fast enough.

Now I've come full circle. Following the death of my husband, I moved back to the family home (the story of which will be in the above-mentioned writing), to keep Mom company (she, too, was alone), and give Eric a stable, safe place in which to grow up. I've never regretted this decision.

And I've decided it's okay, and maybe a little cool to have fond memories of the stuff that makes up my visual history. Even Eric--rock-star-lookalike as a teenager--has become protective of these household items.

No, I probably won't use the cookbooks much, if at all. But they're definitely staying in the family.

For more, check out my FB Page, "From My Turbo-Charged Rocking Chair."
Post a Comment