Thursday, November 3, 2011

C.G. Jung Institute of Los Angeles

Long before I attended Pacifica Graduate Institute, I happened upon this wonderful, often-overlooked resource of thought, inspiration, and fellowship. Unfortunately, for due to some technical orneriness, my computer won't "let" me post the link, so I'm entering the address: www.junginla.org.

On busy Pico Boulevard in West Los Angeles, you can turn on Kerwood, and just make sure you park being mindful of the resident-only permit-parking signs. The courtyard is tiny, but with overhanging trees and a soothing small fountain. Their library/bookstore is a treasure-trove for people who enjoy looking at the psyche from the perspective of the individual or collective soul. Of course, you can find all things Jungian, but also the works of Joseph Campbell, Marie-Louse von Franz, Marion Woodman, and the recently-departed James Hillman. There are also trinkets and jewelry pieces, if you're looking for one-of-a-kind gifts for birthdays and holidays.

I often attend public programs there, for either clinical continuing education hours, or I take my gentleman friend with me when there's a presentation of a less esoteric nature. When I was culling through some papers last night, I rediscovered my brochure for the Fall 2011 Public Programs (also available on the Institute website). The topic for December 9 caught my eye, "A Conversation on Aging and Death." I think I'll go. After all, these are processes that concern all of us--unless there's someone out there who has concocted a magic elixir of eternal youth. As much as I'm determined to bulldoze my way through past 100, the idea that there will someday be an end for me is both comforting and motivating. It reminds me to live now, and live fully. I wonder how much that sentiment will be addressed at this December 9th lecture.
Post a Comment