Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Some Stuff I Resolved in 2011

1. Life is too short to be irritated. That's why I carefully plan my trips to the store, and to recreational venues. I've never been terribly patient by nature. So, when faced with long lines, or a shortage of parking, I now ask myself, "Is it really worth it?" Another reason I'm forsaking Costco for Smart and Final.

2. Taste is everything, especially when one is making the most of a caloric count. As pricy as it is, almond butter beats the hell out of plain old peanut butter. A little spread on multi-grain toast is a great quick breakfast.

3. The only pink in my life, from now on, will be the occasional Pepto-Bismol. The color RED will take a more prominent place in my wardrobe.

4. Out with any flouncy, fluffy, or "aging hippie" stuff hiding in the recesses of my closet. When I think of "professors" and "scholars," what comes to mind are the graying, avuncular men with their pipes and tweed jackets with elbow patches. To craft the feminine counterpart to this look, I'm thinking I'd like to find houndstooth jackets, soft charcoal-gray knit dresses, and sleek A-line skirts. And comfortable shoes one can actually walk in, like Hush Puppies. Damn the sadist who declared stiletto heels beautiful!

5. I want to be able to grow my various career ventures, and be a good, loving caregiver for my mother, who'll be 87 soon.

6. The New Yorker Magazine is well worth the time spent reading it.

7. After years of not paying attention to the often-used phrase, "friends and family," it's beginning to make sense as to why the two are linked.

8. Hard work can keep one young. So can thoughtful fun. And for that matter, moments of spontaneous silliness.

9. With the passing this year of those like Andy Rooney, James Hillman, and Elizabeth Taylor, my generation has its work cut out to find comparable legends for its legacy. Any nominations?

10. We are fast becoming the older generation. We made a lot of noise and headlines in our youth; let's go out in the same spectacular way. If, as I read the other day, "80 is the new 65," what are we going to do about it?





Post a Comment