Sunday, April 22, 2012

HOUSEHOLD MINE!


This "Lady of the House" gig can be a real pain in the rear-end. Muscle aches, an occasional bruise...

It can also be wonderful, on so many levels, including senses of investment, pride, and ownership.

Unless I were to do something idiotic like sell the house from underneath her (and WHY would I even consider that??), Mom has given me carte blanche authority in its day-to-day management. Oh, I've been so looking forward to this!

As a full-time working woman outside our household, I've begun honing my time management and prioritizing skills more finely. I have FB/Burbank High friends who have said they "admire my energy," and I appreciate that. My late husband said, "The more you have to do, the more you can do." And I believe it now, more than ever. Back in my younger days, I used to futz around, and then wonder where the day/week/month went. Now I believe humans are like vehicles -- prop us up on blocks (virtually speaking) and we "rust;" get us out to rev up and roar at full speed, and our engines continue to purr.

I just go at full-throttle, and then rest comes sweetly and swiftly these days. One of my FB pals glibly posted, "My wife just hired a housekeeper." Okay, that's certainly her choice, which I respect. For me, it's so much more than just cleaning and doing chores. It's staking the family claim, and then being its guardian until it gets passed to my son's hands. That sounds grandiose, I know, but as I find each piece of stuff, each knickknack, I'm transported back to forgotten days of personal and family history. See this:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3098963548447.2120450.1094886348&type=1&l=5038db849e

Running things has also given me opportunities to streamline the overall set-up. Recently, I've culled shelves and moved stuff around in the kitchen, to make it work for me. Since the family method, while I was growing up here, was to plant furniture and items in one place, and never move them for (literally) decades, this is revolutionary...come to think of it, that's what Mom and Dad did when my paternal grandmother was in her final decline...does this mean anything for Mom?

Wow...that was just a melancholy moment...

*Taking a long breath, she resumes* In honor of Earth Day--and also because it just needs to be done--I'll be spending this morning mowing, raking, clipping, and pruning (and for the record, I DO NOT USE A LEAF-BLOWER). Those weeds behind my garage just have to go; it's looking too much like Sherwood Forest back there. Good for my property, and good for burning the calories I've ingested with this breakfast (a pile of tater-tots while writing this and listening to a live-stream of classical music on WGBH-Boston).

Later, I'll be whipping up a batch of homemade, environmentally-friendly laundry soap (take a look sometime at my Yelp.com review of Virgil's Hardware, a terrific store, where I get the components). Let me know if any of you want my "recipe." I'm phasing out the use of most paper products, too; I've rounded up all the old rags (in lieu of paper towels) into a central location, and am re-introducing our cloth napkins into mealtime.

So, gotta go take care of the place. Here's one more photo before I sign off...






Post a Comment