Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Feeling a sudden urgency to capture life


I'm continuing to clean and rearrange. As I (re)discover things, my urgency to preserve memories--and fully savor what time I'm destined to have--mounts. It's fair to say that I'm feeling somewhat vulnerable, mortal, and a bit melancholy today.

You can see dolls like the one above all over. I've seen them in hobby and craft stores, but also in the homes of people who took up this past-time. Google "toilet paper cover dolls," and you get countless images.

This one is special to me. It was given to me by a lady I visited in 2001. While I never considered this kind of thing to be "my style," this dolly has claimed a special place in my dining room--and my heart.

Closing my eyes, I can recall this lady's smile -- and the tattooed number on her forearm, as she extended the doll for me to receive.

She had been a World War II concentration camp survivor. Her sweetness and kindness had prevailed over the adversity she had endured. When I grumble about mundane irritations, I can use this lady's life for some perspective.

I don't know quite what moved me to post this. Perhaps it was just a reminder to reach out. Her ongoing gift to me, aside from the doll, was the loving encouragement to have my life be a gift to succeeding generations.

Post a Comment