Friday, May 25, 2012

Update on the bartering, and better living through reading

In follow-up to my last post, I've created a FB event page, "Burbank/San Fernando Valley Barter Club." How this pans out remains to be seen.

In addition to my recent library forays to find books of interest for Mom, my Goodreads.com have pointed me in the direction of some wonderful, promising reads. Among them are:

How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci, by Michael Gelb. I think this should be required reading for all, especially for us baby-boomers, who are so mortally afraid of our potential memory loss. This book goes beyond the usual pat advice of, "Relax...take time out...listen to nice music." Gelb's book talks about seven dimensions of intelligence, and gives us detailed instructions about "mind-mapping." I won't spoil it for you, but this is a definite must-read. I was so impressed that I ordered it from Amazon.com, and the cost was offset by some of my recent book trade-ins (check that out, too!).

How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines
, by Thomas Foster.

Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them, Francine Prose.

I haven't read the last two, but have them on order through Amazon. I'll report my thoughts when I've read them.

Last, from the local library, a nod to Shannon Hayes' Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture. As a child of the sixties, I used to dismiss "homemakers" as Harriet Nelson-types. Now I realize that we all--men as well as women--should be homemakers, as a way to truly embody the "family values" ethic, and reclaim our personal power and family stability.

Read on...I remember a bookmark I got in the seventies from the Burbank Public Library. It said, "If books are dead, so are we."






Post a Comment