Friday, October 19, 2012

Tomorrow's Culinary Adventure

Okay, I'm turning into a regular little chef. Maybe I should have my own reality show. Hey, everyone else gets theirs, why not me??

After my day at the office, I went to the market, spending an unprecedented hour-plus and about $134 + some change for ingredients, including some I'd never heard of before. This item called "Liquid Smoke" certainly sounds intriguing!

Tomorrow morning, I'll begin by baking some Mexican cornbread (mixing some chopped jalapenos into the dough), and placing a stern "hands-off till dinner" sign on the serving plate. Instead of my usual green-salad mix, I'm serving up grape tomatoes, daintily-diced hunks of mozzarella cheese, and red and orange pepper bits arranged colorfully on skewers. The same "keep away" message will be posted on its plate in the refrigerator.

The piece de resistance, the turkey chili, will be in the crock pot until dinner is served at 6:30 PM, giving me ample time to drive home after my afternoon's work, and drop my briefcase. Besides the meat, there is the following in the mix: yellow onion, red onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, this mysterious Liquid Smoke, thyme, cumin, chili powder, a crumbled, dried New Mexico chili, and "hot red chili flakes."

I'm counting on some beckoning aromas when I get home.

For toppings, I'll have green peppers, scallions, sour cream, grated cheese, and guacamole on the table.

I found a nice Cabernet to hold its own with the strong flavors, and my selection seemed to be seconded by what I read on www.winedin.com.

Besides the simple vanilla ice cream for dessert, perhaps I should keep some Tums handy, and my large pitcher of ice water on the dinner table.

Post a Comment