Sunday, July 14, 2013

Reminders of Lives and Families Past


Here it is: my family home of nearly 50 years. Since we moved in on January 1, 1964, this structure has seen the comings and goings of four generations of Cooks, McKales, and Cascaddens. And...God willing, I have every intention of keeping it in the family, even into my son's (and any progeny of his) lifetime.

I want to pose two questions to my readers and FB followers: how many of you grew up in homes like this, and feel as if the house is not merely a structure, but part of your family's history? And how many of you want to remain in your long-time family homes, or gift them to your children, with the understanding that they, too, will love them as much as you have?

Although many of these structures fall to the wrecking ball to make way for more modern dwellings, I'm always gladdened by the sight of those that remain. I've also noticed neighborhoods in which people will actually restore homes of this vintage, so a precious part of Southern California history isn't lost. As a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, historical architecture is a passion of mine.

Yes, my house is currently in need of a massive paint job, inside and out. And work on the cracked tile walkway. And senior-living-friendly upgrades (for moi) in the kitchen and main bathroom. And, and, and....but it's my home and a big part of my heart. I'd like to take "before" and "after" pictures, and, as I'm able to fund my own restoration, proudly post them for you to see.

After all, I want to continue to grow old with my home!

Soon, I want to treat myself to the following book. It will be a fitting companion for all the others I have on local history:




Post a Comment