Thursday, July 4, 2013

The 4th of July -- Thoughts on Another Day of Thanksgiving

I guess I'm getting more sentimental as I get older, but I'm really getting into this annual celebration.

The U.S.A. is a work in progress -- so mind-bloggingly flawed, but also daily presenting us with kaleidoscopic possibilities, on the individual and collective levels.

My gentleman friend and I will be taking in the Josh Groban concert at the Hollywood Bowl Fireworks celebration this evening. Till then, I want to shift the focus of my recent reflection. What better way to spend the morning than to think of how I will foster my personal independence, now and each day going forward?

Lately, I've been re-reading my copy of Chris Guillebeau's The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World. What better source of inspiration for baby-boomers who want to redefine their lives as they head toward the future? Speaking for myself, my 59th birthday is five months from today, and it's like Father Time and I are having a stand-off. To hell with aging--I'm just getting warmed up.

Here's a wonderful quote someone shared with me the other day, and it's just the thing for Independence Day:

“The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution, on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first.”
― Jim Morrison, The Doors

So let's do that. Enjoy the day, however you choose, and go forward with more energy.

Post a Comment