Saturday, January 10, 2015

Happy 2015, as I consider other ventures

I will always be, at heart, a therapist and teacher. Considering how much I invested (on so many levels!)in my career path, how could I not be? And yet, other ventures are also calling to me to satisfy a longing in my soul.

As I have hinted in other posts, I couldn't care less about mall shopping, especially traditionally girly venues like clothing and shoe stores. When the need for such things as a new dress or pair of comfortable flats arises, I'll go into a discount store, find what I need and call it good.

But... in the past couple of years, I've become quite the customer of a certain so-called "big-box" home improvement store. I absolutely love the smell of cut wood in the lumber department, and the earthiness of the potting soil and, yes, even the manure in the gardening section. Recently, also I've discovered the joys in this store's center, Aisle 9, where all the tools are! The other day, to my surprise, I had the mischievous urge to jump on a forklift that was parked nearby, and take it for a joyride. Of course, I restrained myself; I do, after all, want to be welcomed back, and not be in the cross-hairs of the store's surveillance cameras.

Parallel to my house's physical alterations over the past six months, I've felt changes within myself that I find hard to ignore. Every time I accomplish a task, I find myself thinking, Wow, I can do this! Even if I have to enlist some physical muscle, I can at least understand how something works. It's not mysterious. It's simple nuts-and-bolts mechanics.

So, lately I've been seriously considering how I might take my listening/observational skills (therapy) and research/resource (teaching) prowess, and meld them with my passion for home improvement to come up with my newest professional offering. It would be different from the usual path that a designer or architect takes, because I would also be helping people make their house/structure into a home. A single-family dwelling is probably the biggest investment a person or a family can make, and it can also be the largest source of stress and conflict. With each project, done for beautification or for physical soundness, a stake is claimed for that precious sense of ownership, of pride, of permanence and security. It's good for the family, the community, the nation's future--and that's not mere hyperbole. It's a solid value that we should return to.

Check out, if you will, my profile on www.Thumbtack.com.



Post a Comment